Verse for the day

Monday, November 16, 2009

Birthdays


In a couple of days I will be having passing suffering surviving come face to face with my birthday. And whilst I am generally quite happy and content with my life at the moment , I can not help feeling a little depressed when I think about it.

You see , in a couple of days I turn 33. And compared to other 33 year old people I know , I have very little to show for my 33 years on earth. And 'yes' I know , I shouldn't compare my life to that of others, and normally I couldn't give a rats arse. But just sometimes, I do.

And so knowing what I do , I have to answer two questions for myself :

Would I have still married Alet ?  Yes.
Would I have made the same financial decisions ?  No. 'Cause maybe , if I made better financial decisions both me and Alet (and by implication - my son) would have been in a better place to continue our lives after the divorce.

All I can do for now , is try to make better decisions and hope that some day things will work out ok.

And maybe,  until that 'someday' , I can ignore birthdays and just let them go by quietly.

4 comments:

Mark Penrith said...

Hi there Hanno,

You and I share a birth year my friend. I think it's natural for us to start to think along these lines as we grow older. Keep in context that God has every intension in using you according to His plan and purpose in the situation you now find yourself in.

In Christ and for His glory,

Mark

bugs said...

You have an amazing son to show for it. I am grateful for who you are.

Hope the rest of your birthday was awesome.

Rock in the Grass (Pete Grassow) said...

you are loved by God - and by me and many others who admire your photographic skill, your sense of humour and your caring spirit!

Steven Jones said...

You think it's rough turning 33? Wait 'till you turn 40, my friend!

But seriously though, be encouraged that while we cannot change our past decisions, God gives us the grace and the wisdom to make better ones in future. Life is like school, and unfortunately one sometimes has to pay an instalment of fees. If I look back, even some of the disasters in my life have been sources of learning.

Take courage and comfort in the thought that your wicked sense of humour and your caring heart have been a source of blessing for many. I know that I am extremely privileged to have known you as a friend.